I did finish three garments since my last post, though I had planned to blog about them sooner. But I’m going with the new flow around here, which seems to be steadily getting back to a more normal pace. Nap times seem a bit more predictable, so I am beginning to make cleaning and sewing plans around those times, keeping in mind that a newborn schedule is never a sure thing.
After last week’s post, I made two more Sally Rompers. Today I’m showing you this one made with a fantastic green print from Rae’s new line, Lotus Pond, and a bit of Robert Kaufman’s new cotton chambray dot fabric (which has already become a staple in my stash).
I just love this kelly green on Layla!
I had some sky blue buttons chosen for this romper, but Layla asked if she could have red buttons right before I was going to sew them on. So red is just what I went with! I think she made a great choice.
Again, this girl is a huge fan of the pockets. Wait till you see tomorrow’s version. Those pockets come complete with a beetle, thanks to her love of nature. :/
I lined the top of the bodice with this fabulous royal blue cotton chambray dot from Robert Kaufman. And for the armholes, I used some neon bias binding from Jones and Vandermeer. I’ve used this bias tape on three projects you’ll see this week (including this one), and I just LOVE it! Its fairly stiff, which really makes for easy application to garments- especially those that are already lightweight and drapey.
Like I said in my last post, I’m just thrilled to have found this pattern. Layla loves her new outfits, and I’m happy that she has something [handmade, cute, practical] to wear. I did add that extra inch in length to my 4T pattern piece, and I also used a greater seam allowance in the seat of the shorts to give Layla plenty of room to move and grow in this romper. Those two modifications are all that were needed to give Layla the extra length she needed in her torso.
I can’t wait to show you tomorrow’s Sally Romper! Think: lots and lots of neon!